Sunday, November 25, 2007

party leftovers - take 2

I thought I had posted about everything I made for the anniversary party...until I realized that I still had some of the cheesecake bars leftover. This recipe came from Janet who got her recipe from Paula. Usually I am not a fan of Paula Deen's recipes but this one looked too good to pass up. It combines 2 of my favorite desserts: cheesecake and apple crumble.

The recipe is super easy and made with everyday ingredients. The crust is not your typical graham cracker crust but rather more like a buttery flaky cookie.

I garnished mine with dulce de leche but you could use any store bought caramel sauce to simplify it. Actually, you don't even need the sauce; but it does add a nice touch.

Paula Deen’s Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Streusel topping


Streusel Topping:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.


Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.

  1. In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 13x9-inch baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
  2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm crust.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle evenly with Streusel Topping. Bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so gooooood.....and I even did not get to taste them....

Anonymous said...

I made these for Christmas Day. They were soo amazing. I recommend everyone make these immediately.

Anonymous said...

Best dessert ever.

Anonymous said...

Going to make these but how much nutmeg are we to use. Nutmeg is mentioned in the instructions but not in the actual recipe.

Anonymous said...

I logged on to this in support for Paula Deen

Anonymous said...

I would like to know what size the cream cheese packages should be?

Anonymous said...

Someone asked about the size of cream cheese used in this recipe. I would like to know also. Will be making it soon. I'm assuming it's the large ones.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

thank you so much, my family loved it!

Anonymous said...

do u press the crust on the side of the pan too?

Anonymous said...

If you follow the link to Paula's site above, all your questions are answered in her original recipe. And as the recipe is for 'bars' I would assume you dont press crust up the sides.