Tuesday, October 16, 2007

calling all expert omelette makers

This past Sunday, we had a moment of sunshine that we thought we should take advantage of. We knew that this would probably be the last time this year (maybe even forever!) that we would be able to dine al fresco on our balcony. So we hurried up and made a quick and easy brunch omelette and a huge pot of coffee.

Okay, so this is going to be hard to believe but with everything that we're able to cook, an omelette is not one of them. Shocking but neither one of us has ever made one before. Of course we've ordered them in restaurants but never felt the need to make one at home - well, until now.

How hard could it actually be?

This is the point where I tell you that I don't think I'll be making an omelette again any time soon. Don't get me wrong, the filling was delicious (we used fresh basil, aged cheddar and a smear of pesto) but the eggs were dry and over cooked.

How do they make the eggs stay light and fluffy and have a melty filling?

The eggs were way to dry for my taste, so I only ate the filling around the eggs. Even the cats wanted nothing to do with the eggs...they're becoming little food snobs.

I'll try making this again, but only if I get some good tips. So all you expert omelette makers, please help me make an omelette that is deliciously light and fluffy, with a gooey filling...well, at this point, I'd settle for even just an omelette that is edible...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a fluffy omelet you have to separate the eggs, add milk and cook it in a heavy pan just until it sets and then in the oven for a few minutes until it fluffs up...it comes out perfectly.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention the oven setting should be on 400, keep an eye on the omelet it will rise and fluff up in a minute or two.....

Annie Ruok said...

The secret is to put the cheese on while the top of the omlette is still a bit raw, then flip the omlette in half & just brown on each side (the inside will finish cooking & melt the cheese). I have never tried putting it in the oven, but ima's technique sounds like it would definately fluff it up & allow it to rise & look 'restaurant' perfect!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I'm sorry about your omelette disaster. While I don't have much advice to offer, I can tell you you're not alone in having a kitchen disaster last night!