Friday, June 15, 2007

a home run

Earlier today, I received a call from some old friends that were in town. With Mony having a softball game tonight, I thought it would be a great opportunity to have them over for some drinks.

After work, I quickly came home to tidy up and rummage through the fridge to see what I could serve them...I did not want them to leave with empty tummies. Hidden away, in the corner, was last week's spontaneous purchase of halloumi cheese that we hadn't gotten around to using just yet. Halloumi is a hard, Greek cheese with a higher melting point so it is ideal for the bbq.

While waiting for the bbq to heat up, I sliced the cheese into half inch slices and marinated them in lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic. After a while, they were quickly grilled on the bbq. It melted a bit but nothing like regular cheese would. I think next time I'll cut the slices thicker to not have this problem again. Once done, I placed the cheese on toasted sour dough bread and drizzled it with the remaining marinade. Dill was added at the end for that final touch.

The cheese was not overly gooey, but it was delicious. The bbq gave it a smoky taste...and it was the perfect balcony snack with an ice cold drink and good conversation.

After my guests left, I decided to go check out Mony's softball game. He's had a handful of games already, but I've never had the chance to see him play. It was a beautiful night and I thought I'd be a good luck charm to him since they've had an awful losing streak lately.

I love surprising him as his reaction is always so genuine. Unfortunately, I was not much of a charm as they struggled through most of the innings. After about 2 hours, I decided to get myself home...the mosquitos were hungry and out in full force.

Overall, it was a nice night and it was admirable to see Mony 'in action'.
Go Big Blue Go!

3 comments:

Annie Ruok said...

that cheese toast looks amazingly tasty - what kind of drinks did u have with it?

dina (Lucas' mom) said...

It was 2 guys so they are not into frou-frou drinks. They had gin & tonics with limes.

Anonymous said...

Mony, look at Gary Sheffield you understand SHEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFField.