Sunday, April 29, 2007

lesson learned

A lot of times we all take things for granted. We are so busy with the everyday chaos that we forget about how precious time is.
Last weekend we took a trip to Toronto to visit my grandmother. For a while now she has been bed-ridden and incapable of taking care of herself. It is incredibly hard to deal with the reality of the situation. I remember what she was like..the feisty grandmother who loved to rule the kitchen while complaining and gossiping about the latest news. Now she is helpless, relying on others to take care of her. That is not the grandmother I want to remember.
There are times when I wish I could go back to see her kitchen secrets, spend time with her just watching how she commanded the kitchen. Realistically, I know that her days are numbered and it hurts me to even try to make sense of it all, but there is a lesson to be learned in all this.

Do not take anything for granted.

Mony's grandfather (aka Saba) is known for his baking. He worked as a baker when he first immigrated to Montreal...making everything from bagels to challah bread. Knowing his history, it's always a treat when he brings his cheese danishes to our family gatherings. They are a cross between a cheese bagel (non-montrealers are really missing out on these delicacies) and a fruit danish.
Recently, when we were given the opportunity to watch Saba make his famous danishes, we all jumped at the chance. It's moments like these that make me realize how lucky we all are. How wonderful to be able to learn something from someone with such a rich past and so much wisdom. Not to mention the delicious end result....

The lesson was memorable. It is something that I will cherish and keep with me for years ahead. I know that I will never be able to make them as good as Saba, but I love the thought that generations to come will know how good Saba's cheese danishes actually were.

2 comments:

Annie Ruok said...

Very moving post - wish I could have been there to join u all...

Anonymous said...

to tell you the truth....I always heard stories about Saba's baking but I never saw him in action......I enjoyed the lesson very much.......It is very hard to see your loved one's getting old and not able to do things they loved so much to do for the family....at least we have nice memories........