Sunday, April 8, 2007

fuhgeddaboutit

To celebrate the season premiere of the final season of one of our favourite TV shows, The Sopranos, we put together an Italian feast that Tony himself would be proud of.

We prepared some Italian-style meatballs in a fresh tomato sauce on a bed of spaghetti squash that would make even Carmela jealous.

The meatballs were made with a mixture of ground veal, beef and pork with plenty of minced garlic and onion, chopped fresh parsley, chili flakes, worcestershire sauce, fresh thyme, ground fennel seeds and generous amounts of salt and pepper. Shaped into golf ball sized meatballs and baked in the oven for 30 minutes or so at medium heat, they were finished in a fresh tomato sauce made with canned italian tomatoes, garlic, shallots, chili flakes and dried basil.

With Passover winding down, we got a kick out of using spaghetti squash instead of actual pasta. If you've never tried if before, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot as the perfect healthy replacement. Just be sure to use plenty of salt and pepper.

The perfect accompaniment, Valpolicella classico by the glass.

Dr. Melfi's diagnosis: a delicious way to unveil the beginning of the end.

Ba-da-bing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank is it, it has been decided that you guys will do all the cooking when you come to Toronto. You need to create a recipe book for me, with all these fantastic meals. They seem so easy yet absolutely fabulous and delic.

AG

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD... this is the first time I visited your site and I am stunned. You guys can really cook, I couldn't even make one of those things on my own. So how about you write a recipe book for our anniversary gift!!!!

I soooo need to come over and eat!

Piki

Annie Ruok said...

I must say that ever since I looked at the pix on this post, I have been craving spaghetti squash (which I have not made in ages!) & meatballs...I have some premade chicken ones in the freezer I bought at Loblaws (Blue menu) that I brought to a party that are amazing, but since we didn't do groceries this wk (because we'll be away next week), I haven't been able to make this dish - will definately try to when we get back!!

Annie Ruok said...

Finally made this tonite - came out great & Shawn loved it so much, he asked for 2nds! I am proud to say that it looked exactly like the pictures too! Missed your posts last week!